How to store and transport your X-Wing stuff

One piece of advice I wish my X-Wing right-hand man had given me when I took my shopping bags home is: don't throw away the boxes and the plastic trays your ships come in. I did, thus not only increasing dramatically my carbon footprint but also making company to a bagful of X-Wing components I had no idea how to organize. 

On my last post, I told you about how the X-Wing starter game and upgrade packs come with a lot of pilot cards, damage cards, upgrade cards, tokens, and maneuver dials to draft the course of your squadron. You need some system of organization, because eventually these things will pile up. 

I am still trying to figure out the best way to store my stuff. Luckily, some of my X-Wing comrades agreed to let me have a look inside their boxes and steal some ideas:

Tackle Boxes and Multilevel Organizers








(Click the images to enlarge)


These seem to be everyone's favorite. There are many different sizes of tackle boxes and organizers that can be found in hardware stores or fishing shops. The smaller ones are especially good for tokens, the guys tell me. 


Organizer Zerust - R$ 19,04 - Walmart BR

Stanley Sortmaster STST14026 - R$ 44,90 - Magazine Luiza BR

Acrylic and 3D-printed deck boxes and token holders


Etsy shop
free file by DrMoribus on Thingiverse

Some players bag their sleeved cards and tokens and put them in the box just like with their miniatures, and others use custom acrylic and 3D deck boxes and token holders. 

Thingiverse, the world's largest 3D printing community, has a great deal of boxes, holders, trays, and stands to organize game components. Projects are free to download.

Binders


Binders are a great alternative to bagging pilot and upgrade cards. The most common organization criteria seem to be: by faction, then by upgrade type, cost point, then alphabetical order. After each section, it's a good idea to leave either a partial page empty, or a full page empty to add new cards as you buy expansions.

Maneuver Templates Tray


Etsy shop

MicroHangars 


free files on Sir Willi's Workshop
MicroHangars are mostly cardboard tuckboxes, measured to give the ships a tight fit to protect them.  They were originally created by BGG-User DarkPadawan in 2013 and picked up by Sir Willi when he left. They are easy to build, cheap and space efficient. Sir Willi also offers Gear Boxes, Epic Hangars, MiniManeuver cards and other accessories.

Foam trays




Feldherr HSEJ065BO foam tray for Star Wars X-WING Ghost, 2 Ships and accessories

In Brazil, Marcio Mig at MigStore will make you foam trays as beautiful as the Feldherr's ones, as seen above. 

As you see, there's a certain composure to be found in a well-organized X-Wing collection and I'm hoping to achieve it in the near future!  

If you have any other noteworthy idea, share it on the comments, I'd be glad to hear about it. 

Comments

  1. I don't think I'll ever buy this game, but if I was to do so, I'd go with the foam trays to store it. They are beautiful, protect the ships well and look really neat. The only problem I see with them is that they are harder to keep clean than tackle boxes are.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts