Getting started

What makes you happy

I am one of those fortunate people who chose to do a job they love in life, and because I take a lot of pleasure in doing what makes me happy for a living, I may occasionally feel overpowered by not living every other thing that could make me as happy. Meaning taking up a hobby. Meaning I'm a workaholic and need it desperately.

I might have crossed out books on my reading list, it's not getting any shorter. I might have resumed my Hungarian classes or embraced meditation - I could use the benefits. But then I met a guy one afternoon at ClubeNerd, a boardgame store/club in the city, quiet and friendly, who nagged me for months to come play X-Wing with him and his mates and ended up changing my perception of the known Universe.

Becoming The Chick in the X-wing

The X-Wing Miniature Game is a tactical ship-to-ship combat game released by Fantasy Flight Games in August 2012. 

Two players control miniature Rebel, Imperial or Scum starships, and pit them against each other in Star Wars space combats. Players select their ships, expansions and abilities, and lay them out on a 3' x 3' playmat. They then select their maneuvers in unique maneuver dials, measure them out, take an action and proceed to shooting.

Carneiro (Rafael) introduced me to other players, he took me shopping for ships, and continually encourages me to improve my game and to take part in the local tournaments.  

Other veteran players have also welcomed me to the community with open arms. They take things at a slower pace because they know I'm new to the game, and they are supportive and respectful.   


Shopping for ships

The X-Wing Core Set is required for all players. It comes with one X-wing and two TIE fighters.

Fantasy Flight Games releases starships in Waves. Wave X was released on February 2, 2017 and though Wave XI was announced on March 15, 2016, its release date is yet to be revealed.

On my first purchase I bought:
  • one original Core Set, 
  • one The Force Awakens™ Core Set, 
  • one A-wing, 
  • one Rebel Transport, 
  • one K-wing, 
  • one Freighter,
  • one Star Viper,
  • one Heroes or Resistance set, and
  • one Sabine TIE Fighter. 
This was a lot of money and a lot of things. Players generally build 100-point squadrons, so everyone ends up with three to five ships in most builds. This was also a lot of pilot, upgrade and damage cards, action tokens, rulers and maneuver dials to unbox and organize. I left them sitting in their boxes for a month before I had the chance to play my first game.


My first game

It turns out I didn't even play my first game with my own ships. I borrowed another player's squadron, and from what I remember my (his) build looked like this:

Startactics: Squadron Builder APK

I played with Quaresma (Lucas) and learned the basics about maneuvering and game mechanics, and the importance of understanding my Attack, Agility, Hull, and Shield values.

I played my second game with Carneiro (Rafael) and he torn me down mercilessly. He also hugged me in the end because, well, I'm a girl.

I am overwhelmed by the quantity of ships and rules but also proud of myself for taking the first (baby) steps in a game predominantly played by men. I will need to study tactics and test builds and learn cards and lose many more games before I get good, but I wouldn't change it for any easier-to-keep-up-with hobby. 

Comments

  1. I always had a feeling this game was complicated. Now I know for sure! I admire you for starting to play this, I don't think I have the patience it would require to really learn this game and get good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, i've found you on Instagram and I loved ur pics and how u joined in this game. U got a new follower! May the force be with u

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts